NEUROPLASTICITY and YOU
Brain Fitness International was founded by internationally renowned, award winning Brain Fitness Guru and acclaimed Published Author, Paul Hyman, who, over the past 25 years, has earned a stellar reputation in his chosen fields of Neuroplasticity and Movement Based Multi-Sensory Brain Stimulation.
Utilizing the latest tools and techniques to unleash full and natural human mind potential based on the Learning Developmental Hierarchy, Brain Fitness International offers unparalleled Educational Programs as well as and Key Notes on Whole-Brain Integrative Learning and Enhanced Performance, while also providing Counseling, Training and Consulting Services based on up-to-date discoveries in the field of Neuroscience.
Brain Fitness International's innovative and challenging programs are of benefit to any age group and are based on current research about the brain’s plasticity including "neurogenesis", the development and rebuilding of neural pathways.
Contact Paul Hyman, President and CEO of Brain Fitness International, to discuss how Brain Fitness International can be of service to you, your Organization or Staff today.
"The mind is a powerful tool: learn how to maximize its innate potential today to reap the benefits for decades to come." - Paul Hyman
MORE ABOUT PAUL HYMAN
Paul Hyman, President of Brain Fitness International, is regarded in North America and beyond as the Guru of Brain Plasticity & the Aging Brain, and he is Canada's only Integrative Functional Specialist. Over the past 10 years, he created and established the Brain Fitness Program role model that is now the standard in care centers across Canada, the US and abroad.
Paul regularly lectures and delivers high impact trainings to healthcare practitioners, physicians, psychologists, and nursing home support staff.
Paul's monumental career includes healthcare, facilitating wellness programs on a number of levels, including The Aging Brain, Overcoming Addictions, Stress Management and as a presenter/speaker at numerous national and international conventions in Canada and the United States.
It is, however, his innate consciousness, compassion and capacity as a healer, coupled with his deep desire to be of service to humanity, that are the defining factors that make Paul a much sought after facilitator globally.
Paul is a “Sensory Integration/Brain Trainer” specialist combining mind/body approaches and brain research, working in conjunction with other healthcare and educational professionals. His experiential style of teaching and growing collection of playful toys and teaching aids makes for a fun, one-of-a-kind and memorable and highly rewarding learning experience.
Interest in effective performance began with his career of 15 years as a professional recording musician for popular entertainers, TV and the film industry. Working 9 years with the Hong Kong Philharmonic, he was on faculty at the Hong Kong University and Academy for the Performing Arts. He successfully completed a post-graduate Wellness & Lifestyle diploma from Centennial College in 1989. Paul subsequently worked for 10 years as a therapist at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) in Toronto, and was awarded the Nath Nayar Award for Outstanding Contribution and Service. Paul was also a member of the design team responsible for creating Ontario’s first problem gambling program. He developed the Stress Management Program at CAMH and served there as a Therapist.
CAMH’s new publication“Becoming Trauma Informed” features a chapter co-written by Paul entitled, "Trauma-Informed Body-Centred Interventions".
Paul's programs integrate his extensive training and experience in therapeutic psycho-physical approaches. He was a trainer for the Hinks-Dellcrest Centre in their Trauma & Resiliency program and is currently a trainer for the Canadian Training Institute as a trauma specialist. He is certified in the following programs - Accredited Crisis Intervention with Hostile and Aggressive Individual and Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviour (PMAB), Suicide Prevention and Intervention, Conflict Resolution and Defusing Anger.
Paul a certified Trager® Practitioner and a licensed Brain Gym® Instructor/Consultant of 22 years, served on the Brain Gym International Foundation Board from 2004 to 2008 and was given the “Outstanding Achievement & Contribution” award. He currently serves as a board member of the Canadian Association of Specialized Kinesiology - CanASK and also Trager Canada. Paul published his research on prioritizing ADD/ADHD characteristics, which pioneered the establishment of Brain Gym® at CAMH. He also incorporated his approach at Interval House, Canada’s first shelter for woman and children of domestic violence.
Working with Diversicare Canada, Paul created the first movement-based, multi-sensory brain stimulation program called Brain Gym® & MORE, for older adults across Canada. www.diversicare.ca. The program has been especially successful with older adults, chronic care, frail elderly, Alzheimer’s, stroke survivors, acquired brain injuries, Parkinson’s and with adults and children with complex neurological challenges. This innovative initiative reflects current research about the brain’s plasticity and the impact of physical activity on brain functioning for older adults.
His ongoing search to provide better services is directly connected to the thousands of people he has helped to take ownership of their lives. His greatest teachers have been his clients that he has been so honoured to work with and assist.
Paul’s wellness philosophy is to empower individuals regardless of physical and cognitive abilities.
Paul is available for private sessions, consultations and in-house training/presentations.
Skills & Qualifications
- Acupuncture Detoxification Specialist – NADA Certified
- Licensed Brain Gym® Consultant/Instructor
- Bal-A-Vis-X® – Level 1, 2, 3
- Rhythmic Movements – Level 1, 2
- Licensed TRAGER® Practitioner Movement Re education
- Certified Touch For Health Instructor
- Body Centered Therapist – Hendricks® Approach
- Transformational Breath Work
- Reiki Master
- Certified Trainer of MIPP (Musculoskeletal Injury Prevention Program)
- Repetitive Strain Injury Specialist
- Certified Standard First Aid
- Certified C.P.R.
- Stress Management Therapist, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 10 years
- Certified/Registered Hypnotherapist
- Bereavement Group Facilitator
- Time Line Therapy™ Practitioner
- "Stress Map®" Facilitator
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming Practitioner
- "SurviAbility®" Facilitator – Career Strategies for the New World of Work
- Recreation Therapist, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 10 years
- Certified Wellness/Lifestyle Coach
- Certified Y.W.C.A. Life Skills Coach
- "True Colors™", Personality Dimensions Facilitator
- Accredited Crisis Intervention with Hostile and Aggressive Individual
- Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviour (PMAB)
- Suicide Prevention and Intervention
- Conflict Resolution
- Defusing Anger
- Trainer of Understanding & Responding to Inmates with Mental Health Challenges
Academic Qualifications; WELLNESS
Centennial College, C.A.A.T. Wellness & Lifestyle (post-Graduate) Diploma 1988-1989 Toronto, ON, which led to becoming Canada’s foremost Integrative Functional Specialist and President of Brain Fitness International.
SOME SPECIALIZATIONS EDUCATION:
Please refer to complete list of Skills and Qualifications
- Trager® Movement Re-Education & Mentastics
- Certified Trager Practitioner, 1993 – present, 500 hours, continuing education requirements plus a re-certification each year.
- Educational Kinesiology – Brain Gym®
- Certified Instructor and Consultant, 1994 – present
- Certified Instructor of Edu-K courses: Brain Gym level101, Optimal Brain Organization Profiles, Vision Circles, brain Gym for educators
- Trainers – Carla Hannaford Ph.D (neurobiology), Paul Dennison (Ph. D.), Svetlana Masgutova (Poland),Carol Ann Erickson, Sylvia Sue Greene, Joseph McFarland, Colleen Caroll-Gardner, Michael Loughran, Joyanne Loughran, Pam Curlee, Renate Wenneke
- Courses include In-Depth Educational Therapy Process, Optimal Brain Organization Profiles, The Physiological Basis of Educational Kinesiology, Language of Movement, Movement Exploration, Developmental Kinesiology, Brain Gym for Movement, Dance and Sports Performance, Creative Vision, Visioncircles, Whole Brain Reading, Integration of Dynamic and Postural Reflexes into the Whole Body Movement System, Brain Gym for Educators
Touch for Health
- Certified Touch for Health Instructor
- International College of Kinesiology, Zurich, Switzerland (1998)
- Certified Practitioner of NLP Hypnosis (Ericksonian) – Tad James, Ph.D. (1998)
- Advanced Neuro Dynamics, Honolulu, HI
- Registered Hypnotherapist (2000)
- American Board of Hypnotherapy
- Hypnosis and the Treatment of Depression – Michael Yapko, Ph.D. (2000)
- Trancework: Clinical Hypnosis in Solution Oriented Psychotherapy – Michael Yapko, Ph.D. (2000)
- Ericksonian Psychotherapy & Hypnosis – Jeffrey Zeig, Ph.D. (2002)
- Certified Practitioner, Neuro-Linguistic Programming. (2000) Trainer – Tad James, Ph.D.
- NLP practitioner, American Board of Neuro-Linguistic Programming
Depression and Anxiety Disorder
- Integrating Therapeutic Approaches to Depression and Anxiety Disorders, (2002)-Jeffrey K. Zeig, Ph.D.The Courage to Love: From Trauma to Transformation (2003) Stephen Gilligan, Ph. D
- National Acupuncture Detoxification Association certified NADA Acupuncturist, (2001)
- Auricular Acupuncture – Lloyd S. McKibbin, MD, CAFC, (1995)
Nath Nayar Award Outstanding Contribution and Service
1994 The Donwood Institute – Toronto, ON
Brain Gym International Outstanding Achievement & Contribution
Foundation Pioneered & established Brain Gym® as a core stress management at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, CAMH, Toronto, ON
A Study Linking Cocaine Clients to ADD Characteristics © 2003, TRO Research Annual, 1:20-24
As a Basis to Study Brain Gym® and Cocaine Recovery
Centre for Addiction & Mental Health (CAMH) latest publication – Becoming Trauma Informed.
Co-Authored the chapter – Trauma-Informed Body-Centred Interventions
- Brain Gym International
- OACCPP – Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists & Psychotherapists
- CanASK – Canadian Association of Specialized Kinesiology
- Trager Canada
Conferences & Training
- Canadian Association of Montessori Teachers - Keynote, Toronto, ON, 2014
- Mindcamp - Canada's Creativity Conference - Orillia, ON, 2014
- Hamilton Early Years’ Professional Education Event – Hamilton, ON, 2013
- Brain Gym for Educators – Inuvik, NT, 2012
- Northeast Ohio Accelerated Learning Special Interest Group & International Alliance for Learning, Akron, Ohio, 2011
- Activity Professionals of Ontario – APO, 2010, 2011
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th International Sensory Therapy Conference, Toronto, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011
- 34th , 35th International Accelerated Learning Conference , Houston, Texas, 2009, 2010
- Bloorview Kid’s Rehab – Transitions Conference “Building Skills for Participating in the Adult World”, 2008
- PEEL School District Admin./Teachers, Board of Education, Ontario, Canada, 2008
- Wuhan Education Bureau, Hubei, China (U.S. Tour), San Francisco, California, 2008
- The Ontario Association for Municipal Employment Services Conference – AMES, 2005
- “Early Years” Ontario Provincial Conference, 2003, 2005
- Toronto Montessori Teachers Conference, 2003
Health & Social Services
- PACE - Independent Living - Keynote - Toronto, ON, 2015
- London Providers - PSW's - Keynote - London, ON, 2014
- Waterloo-Wellington Therapeutic Recreation Council (WWTRC) & Ontario Television Network (OTN), 2012
- Festival of International Conferences on Caregiving, Disability, Aging and Technology – FICCDAT, 2011
- Healthy Mind Expo. Alzheimer Society of Windsor & Essex County, Keynote Speaker, 2010
- University of Waterloo Dept. of Recreation and Leisure Studies, 2005 – 2012
- The Toronto Sexual Abuse Treatment Programs, Ministry of Child/Youth Services, 2009
- The MCSS/MCYS Learning in Motion (LIM) Toronto Region Staff Conference for Ontario Disability Support Program, Ministry of Community & Social Services, Ministry of Children & Youth Services, 2008
- Trauma Training – Hincks-Dellcrest Centre, Trauma & Resiliency Centre, Toronto, 2007, 2008
- Trauma-Focused Training – Durham Rape Crisis Centre, Whitby, 2007
- Central Toronto Youth Services, (Mental Health & Addictions), 2006
- Hamilton Community Programs, Keynote Speaker, 2005
- Addictions Ontario – CACCF, 2005, 2006
- Therapeutic Recreation Ontario, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009
- ”Making Gains” Mental Health and Addiction Conference of Ontario, 2003
- 31st, 32nd, 37th, 42nd Institute on Substance Abuse & Mental Health, University of Delaware
Music & Performance
- Suzuki String School of Guelph, 2011
- The Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto
- Southern Ontario Suzuki Institute
- Humber College Music Program
- National Youth Orchestra of Canada
- Art of Teaching Conference – The Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto, 2006
- Ottawa Suzuki Conference, 2006
- Glenn Gould School – The Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto, 2002, 2005
- Sir Wilfred Laurier University Music Department, 2005
Mission & Values
Mission: Strengthen Your Mind for Peace Within
Brain Fitness International provides wellness and performance enhancement solutions based upon recent discoveries from the neurosciences. By understanding the needs of both people and organizations, Brain Fitness International delivers innovative, high-quality research-based solutions.
One of Brain Fitness International’s founding principles is a commitment to the community; a social responsibility to support the community. Brain Fitness International donates a percentage of time with a focus to providing services to charitable organizations and to assist low-income members of the community with Brain Fitness wellness initiatives.
Educating yourself about Brain Fitness tips, tools & techniques can help you stay grounded in a changing world and on a personal level, coping positively.
- Innovation, Quality & Excellence
- Acting in our clients’ best interests.
- Building long-term relationships.
- Going the extra mile to deliver effective solutions.
- Using research to maintain leadership.
- Encouraging creative thinking to support our clients.
- Striving for future growth by measuring our performance and continuously improving.
- Communicating honestly and openly with each other.
- Acknowledging the contribution of individuals and teams.
- Recognizing that we are all important to our shared success.
- Respecting the diversity and uniqueness of individuals.
- Investing in professional development.
- Taking accountability, ownership and personal responsibility.
- Acting professionally and ethically.
- Making decisions based on the best knowledge, an evaluation of alternatives and an understanding of the impact on people.